have an opinion? got feedback? drop me a line- pooja.x.rao@gmail.com
........................................................................................................................................................................
Can also read my posts at Mumbaikar.com and filmi features @ Bollyspice.com
........................................................................................................................................................................

Pages

Happy Birthday A R Rahman - List of my favourite ARR songs!


In honor of India’s own Oscar Award winner Allah Rakha Rahman!

The music maestro celebrates his 44th Birthday today! Happy Birthday, A.R.Rahman!
On the day, A R Rahman received the Golden Globe Award; I decided that, I would post my favourite Rahman songs. He won, but I failed to complete my post. Then I told myself if he went on to win the Oscars, I would definitely blog about it. I still failed. Today finally on his birthday, I am adamant to finish the list.

How do u start pulling up a few favourites from the discography that is as versatile as Rahman's? He's got it all covered - from techno, carnatic, blues, bollywood, broadway & when I sat down to scribble the immediate recall tracks, I had over 30+ in less than a minute. 


Now here's the deal - I've included a range of his songs from across languages. Plus I’m not completely well-versed with his pre-1997-98 compositions, so please pardon my limitation. Except for a brief intro, I don't feel the need to reason out or detail why I like a particular track (it's RAHMAN's composition, which part of his songs being absolutely fantastic don't you get?) So after drafting, re-drafting & re-re-drafting, endless loops of repeats on my mp3, I have succeeded or maybe not! Then again you might agree with me or maybe not, but this is my list, so here they are. 

Oh! And the list isn’t in any particular order. Just Plain Random. Enjoy!

Yeh Haseen Vaadiya – Roja (1992) (Hindi)
Snow-capped hills, scintillating sunshine and Chitra & SP Balasubramaniam’s vocals = Pure Bliss!



Yun Hi Chala Chal Rahi  - Swades (2004) (Hindi)
Let the road trip begin..


Bombay Theme (Instrumental) – Bombay (Hindi)
A complete soundtracks that’s hard to pick a single favourite, but if this theme doesn’t give you goosebumps, what can?


Fine, I’ll also throw in ‘Tu hi re’ to make my point clearer.


Rehna Tu – Dilli 6 (Hindi)
Masakali? Genda Phool? Uhh! The tough choices to make! What’s a Rahman list without this? Clearly the most explosive soundtracks of that year; hardly find any such albums that bring in so much variety, uniqueness & yet is cohesive as a whole. Here we go again, Saiyyan hain Vyapaari, Chale hain Pardes :) 


Chinnamma Chilakkamma - Meenaxi: Tale of 3 Cities (2007) (Hindi)
The song simply rocks! Capische?

(Sorry! Can’t find a HD video, if someone else does, pls do share)


Ae Ajnaabi -Dil Se (1998) (Hindi)
No pretenses, no adulterations. Pure melody & Gulzar’s lyrics -

Tu to nahin hai lekin teri muskurahatein hain
Chehra kahin nahin hai par teri aahatein hain…

Shabaash Gulzar Saab!! And Rahman’s Sir! I bow down to thee.


Mukkala Mukabla – Humse Hai Muqabala (Hindi) (1994)
A reason why I strongly miss the 1990’s. Songs aren’t so much fun anymore!


Pachai Nirame (Saathiya) – Alaipayuthey (Tamil) (2002)
No not Saathiya, but Alaipayuthey! Why the tamil to the hindi? Doesn’t make a lot of difference, but let me re-iterate original ALWAYS works better with me. Not that I understand a word, but I still feel Hariharan’s version sounds richer than Sonu’s. Also sorry to say but the Hindi lyrics seemed a bit too tacky & forceful for my taste!

hastee rahe tu hastee rahe hayaa ki laaie khiltee rahe
zulf ke neeche gardan pe subah-o-shaam milati rahe……EH?!?

But since it’s the music we are talking about, either is fine.


Anbe Anbe – Jeans (1998) (Tamil)
My introduction to Tamil cinema & my earliest memories of Rahman’s music. Eternal favourite and Poovukul too & Varayo.. You get the drift! For the locals, the same song is ‘Tauba Tauba’ in Hindi, but as most times, my loyalty remains with the original.

p:s: extra bit of information – Jeans was India’s nomination for Oscar’s that year. Don’t you’ll love how you get to learn on my site :)


Chikku Bukku Raile – Gentleman (Tamil/Hindi) (1993)
I watched this movie (hindi version) only for Chiranjeevi & my huge fan-girl crush on him then! But I’ve put the tamil song.. here’s why -
Not many know that the Tamil, Telugu versions were released first with Rahman being the composer for them. When the Hindi version was remade with Juhi Chawla & Chiranjeevi (sigh!!) Anu Malik was acknowledged as the music director of the film, while Rahman was credited only by a thanks in the opening credits. Hence, I’m going with the Tamil version for my list. (only music per se)


And Chiranjeevi’s version also! (I don’t intend to compare, so don’t get judgmental on me)


Munbe Vaa – Sillunu Oru Kaadhal (Tamil)
Nothing in this album made me sit up & listen, but this single track is a definite keeper!


Vinnaithandi Varuvaya (Tamil) (2010) - I know many would have chosen Aaromale or Kannukkul Kannai, but the entire album is a winner. It’s hard to pick any one track! This particular - Anbil Avan, always manages to cheer me up. Choreography, visuals, and playbacks everything works beautifully.


Even still, the list is unpleasantly incomplete. No Sapnay, Taal, Rangeela, RDB, Lagaan, I could go on & on…. But enough said! Your turn now! Post away in comments.. What did I miss?

3 comments:

  1. Ae Ajnabi is fantastic... One of my all-time favorite songs!!!

    "Rang De Basanti" from the same movie would definitely be on my list, if I'd made one... As well as "Roja Jaaneman" from Roja. And "O Saaya" from Slumdog Millionaire.
    And, off course, "Fanaa" from Yuva. "Aye Udi Udi" from Saathiya... But there are so many, and you chose some great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh.. thats a big box of worms yaar.. lets see. From Tamil-Thenmerku from Karuthamma,Oru Theivam Thantha Poove frm Kannathil Muthamittaal, Rukkumani-Roja, En Kadhale/Anjali-Duet to name a few..Honestly,way too many to list. Lots in Hindi too Kya Kare-Rangeela,Tu Hi Tu-Kabhi Na Kabhie, Bol Sajni-DLSR..
    I think the best part of my concious childhood has some connection with ARR's music so I tend to go to his older OSTs but not that I'm complaining about the new stuff..

    Lovely post and even better selection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice selection of songs.. :-)

    www.ratnibbles.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...